Shopify is a great platform for starting an online store, but there are some products that you should avoid selling. Knowing what not to sell on Shopify can save you time and money, as well as help you make sure your store is compliant with the law.
In this article, we’ll go over the types of products you should avoid selling on Shopify, along with some tips for finding the right product for your store.
What Not to Sell on Shopify
- Counterfeit Goods: Counterfeit goods are any items that are being sold as a replica or imitation of a brand-name product. These items are illegal to sell, and can land you in legal trouble if you’re caught.
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia: Drugs and drug paraphernalia are obviously illegal to sell. If you’re caught selling these items, you could face serious legal repercussions.
- Stolen Goods: It’s illegal to sell any items that have been stolen or obtained illegally. Not only will it land you in trouble with the law, but it could also damage your brand’s reputation.
- Firearms/Weapons: Selling firearms or weapons of any kind is illegal in most countries and can result in serious legal trouble.
- Alcohol and Tobacco: To sell alcohol or tobacco, you need to have a special license. Without this license, you could face serious legal and financial repercussions if you’re caught selling these products.
- Pornography: Pornography is illegal in many countries and can result in serious legal repercussions if you’re caught selling it.
- Gambling/Lottery Tickets: Gambling and lottery tickets are generally illegal to sell and can lead to serious legal trouble if you’re caught.
- Explosives and Hazardous Materials: Explosives and hazardous materials are dangerous and can be illegal to sell, depending on the country you’re in. Be sure to check the laws in your area before selling any of these products.
Tips for Finding the Right Products to Sell
- Research the Market: Do your research before deciding what products to sell. Look at competing stores and see which products are popular. You can also use tools like Google Trends to see which products are trending in your area.
- Know Your Competition: Get to know your competitors and see what they’re doing differently. You can learn a lot from the successes and failures of your competitors.
- Test Your Products: Before launching your store, do some testing with your products. This will give you a better idea of what works and what doesn’t.
- Use Social Media: Use social media to spread the word about your products and build relationships with customers.
Knowing what not to sell on Shopify is important for avoiding legal trouble and finding the right products for your store. Be sure to do your research and test your products before launching your store to ensure success. Good luck!